Simba Energy to drill well in Kenya’s Block 2A in Q4 2016

Canadian oil and gas explorer Simba Energy has said it expects to commence drilling operations in Kenya’s Block 2A (Wajir County) situated in the Anza and Mandera basin in the next quarter after completing and interpreting ongoing 500+km 2-D seismic.

According to the explorer the current 2D seismic is expected to delineate prospects, test trend & finalize drill locations with completion & interpretation planned by Q-3, 2016.

Simba plans to delineate between the M1 and M3 prospects with  1+ Billion barrel potential for M3 and 660 MMboe M1.

Simba FTG Block 2A

Both M1 and M3 located in the Mandera basin are situated in a 4 way closure clearly correlated by earlier 2D seismic, passive seismic and recent FTG in a tilted fault block, up to the north.

The seismic is hoped to clearly identify a drill location in the 85 km2 where M1 is situated or at 102 km² area where M3 is located. Earlier studies have shown that the drilling depth for M1 is just 1500m while M3 is 1750m.

“M1 & M3 are confirmed prospects with Billion barrel potential. A1 located in the Anza basin also has excellent prospectivity. 2014 airborne FTG survey has refined design of 2-D seismic to finalize drill targets. Planning to complete & interpret seismic within Q3 2016. Drilling M1 or M3 late Q3 early Q4, 2016,” Simba Energy told investors in its last presentation.

Block 2A String of Pearls trendAttention will also be given to secondary targets M2 and A1 and if warranted, A4, A5.

 

The ongoing 2D seismic is also expected to evaluate “String of Pearl” Trends for both basins as identified by (FTG) or Full Tensor Gravity Gradiometry Seismic and (IPDS) or Passive Seismic and confirm depths and volume estimates for above and other secondary drilling targets to revise Block 2-A’s resource estimate.

The String of Pearl trend ( discoveries that trends from Africa Oil’s recent Sala-1 discovery 50kms NW, SE through concession’s south-western boundary) shows Fault zone series of down to basin blocks similar to those seen at the Ngamia field.

Simba Energy is the block operator with 40 percent participating interest while joint venture partner Essel Group holds the remaining 60 percent   in exchange for a full carry of exploration work including drilling.

%d bloggers like this: