Anadarko drilling in Kenya’s Block L11A eagerly awaited by other offshore explorers

The planned of the Mlima well drilling by Anadarko in Block L11A offshore is being watched closely by partners in other blocks especially as the block is adjacent block L10B which saw the first offshore oil discovery in East Africa at the Sunbird-1 well.

Anadarko on its part will be hoping to turn around its barren luck in offshore Kenya after its unlucky run at the Kubwa well in Block L7 (to the north of L11A) in early 2013 which indicated a working hydrocarbon system.

According to Australian explorer Pancontinental Oil and Gas the results of the drilling will shed light on the geology in the area even as data from Sunbird-1 well continues to be reviewed and interpreted. The company had in August last year said it was considering the drilling of a new well in the block where BG Group is the operator.

“In addition to the permit’s own exploration findings via seismic and drilling, the joint venture is eagerly awaiting the drilling of Anadarko’s Mlima well in the adjacent permit L11B,” the company said in its latest report.

Block L11A

The results will also help in determining the way forward in block L10B which recently secured a 12 month extension on the work commitment programme from the Kenyan Ministry of Energy and Petroleum.

BG Group is the Operator in Block L10B with 60 percent interest while Pancontinental holds the remaining 40 percent interest.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.